Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Joys of Raising Boys

Someone asked me the other day, "How did you raise such awesome Christian boys?" I couldn't give her an immediate answer. I was pleased that she respected my boys for their Christain character. I was honored that she looked to me as one who was partially instrumental in their outcome. But, I had no ready answer to give her. I just shared with her the one thing I had done faithfully for them, throughout their entire lives--I prayed for them. Alot. Still do.

But, this started me to thinkin'. What WERE some of the things I did with my boys that helped shape them into the young men they have become?

So, I decided to make a list.

First, let me set the record straight. I will never be able to take full credit for how our boys have turned out. My husband has been very much involved in their lives. Personally, I feel he has been a more positive influence on them than I have, and he certainly deserves more credit for their outcome than I do.

He has been a WONDERFUL dad--still is!

Growing up he took them fishing, hiking, hunting, and camping a lot. He played football, baseball, basketball, soccer...just about every sport there is...he played with them. And he loved doing it. And he rarely said "no" when they wanted him to play. He spent TIME with them.

Okay, now for that list...

  • Show him you love him, tell him too. Everyday.


  • Let him play in the mud...and get dirty. For heaven's sake, he's a boy!


  • Listen to him. Encourage him to talk about his feelings.


  • Let him know---it's OKAY to cry.


  • Tell him he's a warrior. Because he is!


  • Give him boundaries, but be fair. He will be more secure because of it.


  • Chores are a must. Show him how to do them. But, don't redo his work if it doesn't measure up to your standards. He will learn with loving encouragement.


  • Take time to play games, to watch the clouds and count the stars.


  • Read to him from God's Word.


  • Don't forget to teach him chivalry. It's important for him learn how to treat a lady like a queen, then for him, a queen she will be.


  • Teach him to "hide God's word in his heart"--early on.

  • Allow him to make mistakes. God must mold and shape him--after all, He is the Chief Potter, not you.

  • Let him know, you're not perfect. We all make mistakes, but we learn from them.


  • Love his daddy!


  • Provide a warm, welcoming home--where he will want to bring his friends.


  • Entrust him to God.


  • Realize this: God gave him to you for a season. When that season is over, give him wings and LET HIM GO.

  • NEVER stop praying for him!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peggy you're the winner of my giveaway! If you'll send me your email address I'll pass it on to Alicia and she will get in touch with you!
Congratulations!
Shelia ;0

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

:) What a sweet post. Problem is that I had three boys..not to mention four girls..and well..to be truthful, I got tired!
Such a cute post!
Happy New Year, Peggy. I hope your years is filled with joy!
Mona

Peggy said...

Thank you, Mona! I can't imagine how hard it would be to try to raise seven children! My two, very active, curious boys were a handful as it was! Bless your heart!
Happy New Year to you! ~Peggy